Norwalk union workers poised to strike
IAM Union representatives and city workers picketing and express their grievances outside Norwalk City Hall on Tuesday, August 26, 2025. (Photo by Vincent Medina)
NORWALK — Negotiations between the International Association of Machinists (IAM) Union, representing Norwalk’s city workers, and the city’s management team reached a deadlock after a short-lived bargaining session at Norwalk City Hall on Wednesday, Aug. 27.
Union officials declared the impasse unlawful and signaled plans for a potential strike as early as next week, citing the city’s refusal to budge on wage increases and healthcare contributions.
The IAM Union, which represents approximately 565 full-time city employees across departments including public works, recreation, transit, and maintenance, has been operating without a contract since the previous agreement expired on June 30.
Members authorized a strike during a ratification vote on August 14, after overwhelmingly rejecting the city’s “last, best, and final offer.”
The breakdown comes amid growing frustration over stagnant wages and rising healthcare costs. Union representatives argue that Norwalk employees earn about 7% below market rates compared to neighboring cities like Downey, Carson and Montebello.
Jennifer Friesen, IAM business representative, said the union initially sought equity adjustments starting at 10% over four years, but lowered their demand to a minimum 2% across-the-board increase to facilitate an agreement.
“We have moved and done everything possible to respect the confines of the budget and make sure that services continue to be provided,” said Friesen. “What we’re asking for is not unreasonable, but both the members and the employer have to be able to get along to retain employees, which makes the city thrive.”
City officials, in their “last, best, and final offer,” proposed increases of less than 1% for roughly 80% of workers— amounting to just pennies per hour—while offering nothing to offset healthcare hikes.
Employees incur out-of-pocket costs averaging $800 per month for family coverage through providers such as Kaiser and Anthem Blue Cross, with projections of an 8% increase in 2026, according to CalPERS.
Mike Armendariz, a union representative and public safety officer with 17 years of service, explained the challenge that this poses.
“For the last year, we’ve been paying $800 out of pocket for a family of four,” said Armendariz. “With the upcoming increases, it’s going to push us to nearly $1,000 a month, and that’s with less than a 1% raise.”
The union proposed capping employee healthcare increases at $25 per month to mitigate the hikes, but the city also rejected the idea.
City management, including department directors, pay no out-of-pocket for their coverage, which union members said they effectively subsidize, according to city data.
Union members also picketed outside City Hall on Tuesday, where workers voiced concerns over management’s recent perks.
City Manager Jesus Gomez earns approximately $340,000 annually with full benefits, according to the most available data.
Directors recently received 10% to 40% increases, a nine-step salary structure, and $500 annual bonuses—contrasting sharply with the minimal offers to rank-and-file employees.
The bargaining session on Wednesday was scheduled from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., but lasted about 16 minutes. Union representatives said they opened by seeking dialogue. However city negotiators, led by Deputy City Manager Ozzie Ramos and labor consultant Peter Nguyen from Leibert Cassiey Whitmore, reiterated their final offer without concessions.
“They didn’t want to entertain any further dialog,” said Friesen. “They declared impasse, and we believe it’s unlawful.”
Nguyen, described by union officials as a “union-busting” consultant, reportedly interrupted discussions repeatedly, asking “What is your position?”
Ramos reportedly dismissed explanations for the union’s rejection of the city’s offer and said, “I don’t care why the members rejected it.”
The city has cited fears of an impending recession and potential impacts from President Donald Trump’s administration and federal government policies as reasons for their stance, according to Ashley Gunckel, IAM international representative. However the city did not cite evidence of an imminent financial crisis.
“After eight months of negotiations, the City of Norwalk has reached an impasse with the employee union after presenting the best and final offer,” wrote a City of Norwalk representative in a statement. “As part of the next step in the process, the City is pursuing third-party mediation to help both parties move toward resolution. We want to reassure residents that critical City services will remain. The City remains hopeful that a collaborative outcome will be achieved.”
Friesen said Norwalk survived the previous Trump term and COVID-19 without layoffs, and the union offered a reopener clause for future economic adjustments, which was also rejected.
Additional grievances include the city’s withholding of budget and classification study information, leading to two pending charges with the Public Employment Relations Board (PERB). The union plans to file more charges and consult legal counsel before finalizing strike plans.
A strike could halt critical services, including transit routes serving Norwalk and neighboring cities such as Whittier and Bellflower, as well as recreation programs, senior centers and street maintenance.
Union representatives and city workers including long-time residents like bus operator Robert Nunez and maintenance worker Jesse Hernandez, expressed their commitment to the community despite the hardships.
“We don’t want to strike. We need our employees,” said Gunkel. “But if the city has no interest in movement, we’ll have no choice.”
Union leaders may rally at the next City Council meeting on September 2.